Thursday, August 5, 2010

Water for Elephants

Water for elephants
 Loved this book!  Just finished it, and I can't stop thinking about it.  If you haven't heard of it yet, it is a story about a young man's experiences working at a circus in the 1930's.  There are so many things I loved about this book.  Firstly, being an AVID animal lover, any book that has any sort of animal in it, I'm drawn to.  This book had horses, elephants, lions, and monkeys...and they all performed!  Secondly, my favorite period in all of history has to be the 30's.  I love reading and learning about life during this time period.  The elegance and classiness of people back then astounds me.  All men had manners back then and women were REAL ladies.  

Having been to the fair recently and now reading a book on the circus, it got me in a festive mood.  I went on Etsy to see if I could find some fun circus/county fair finds.  Here are some things that I thought conjured up the spirit of an old fashioned festival:  (click on the pic's to go to the Etsy shops)

Peanut NecklaceLove this!  Even if I only wear it once or twice a year when I attend the circus....it's worth it. Adorable!


Old Maid
Have you ever player Old Maid?  When we were kids, my sister, brother and I used to play this game with our Great Grandma Mac. I will forever cherish those memories.  Maybe I should get a set for my kids to play with their Great Grandma.  You should too!  By the way, check out the other things this Etsy shop has for sale...great vintage ephemera!

Big top headbandThis headband is adorable and conjures up the spirt of the "Big Top."  Would it be too much if I wore this AND the peanut necklace? 

Circus tinThis old tin would be great in a kitchen to store cookies in.  What kid doesn't love cookies and the circus?
 


1 comment: