Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tiny Worlds

Recently I've been obsessed with creating terrariums. I don't know if its my longing to garden, which, may be a while, or how utterly adorable these little things are when they are done.  I've made a ton in the last few weeks for friends and family, and thought I would pass along a little inspiration.
I started by gathering supplies.....glass container, small plants, moss, charcoal, small pebbles, and soil.

I was a sucker for all these little versions of violets, and ferns.  They are just so sweet.
I stuck with ferns and violets, because that's mainly what my nursery had, but you could also use small orchids, and different mosses.  You could even create an open terrarium with all succulents.  The Internet is flooded with ideas. 
This was a basic kit I had purchased and used on the first couple of terrariums.  I later found it more economical, (because I was making so many) to buy larger bags of everything.  Besides the glass container, which I purchased at Hobby Lobby, this is everything you need. 
Here is a side view of one of the terrariums so you can see the different layers.  The first layer is rocks or pebbles, followed by charcoal, then a layer of moss.  Next comes the soil, then plants, and more moss to cover any open areas of soil.   It's really quite simple, and I even had the kids helping me.


Each one is a little different.  In mine, I added a gazing ball I had purchased for my daughter's fairy garden.  It added a touch of whimsy.
They are super sweet, and very simple to make.  They make great gifts as well.

I'm thinking of ordering some of these tiny mushrooms.  They are perfect for a small terrarium.  They are from Etsy

So, while waiting for the warm weather, and Spring to arrive, you could garden today on a very "small" scale with a terrarium.  Hmmm, maybe I'll make some of these for the shop.  Speaking of the shop, we are open this week.  Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, April 4-6 from 10-3pm. 
Julie

Linking up Here

PhotobucketChic on a Shoestring Decorating
Ivy and Elephants

13 comments:

  1. Hello sweet friend,
    Oh you have inspired me once again to make some terrariums . I found some of these same jars at Ross and made some with just plants, I added little shells and a super tinny vintage bottle with a rolled up torn piece of book page in the bottle like a message in a bottle.
    I love yours they look so ready for spring and summer.

    Thank you for stopping by for a visit, and your comments always joy!
    Keep inspiring us to create :)

    Xx
    Beautiful weekend that inspires the best to you.

    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I'm definitely giving them a try this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration. We'd love to have you share it with us, it's adorable!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thank you so much for giving us a visit!
      Julie

      Delete
  3. So sweet! My husband's grandmother raised african violets in tea cups, but I love your update look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How adorable, violets in tea cups. I have box of antique tea cups in the basement....hmmmm, you gave me an idea! Thanks for stopping by! I now know what my next little project is!
      Julie

      Delete
  4. Julie,
    These are so so cute. Love them and love to look at some spring!!!! It was good to see you and your mom yesterday at the shop.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank you! I heard you bought that door Anne brought in. Can't wait to see what you do with it! Have a great weekend!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracie,
    Yes, gardens are all I can think of lately! We would love to visit and link up to the Garden Party!! I have always enjoyed your blog.... so much inspiration! Thanks for popping over to ours!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous!
    Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thank you! And a big thanks for visiting!
      Julie

      Delete
  8. Oh Julie, just what I needed to see tonight! I'll be featuring this post on Thursday's Be Inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! You just made our day! Thanks so much for giving us a visit and for sharing our post with others. Last week you inspired me to do a tea cup garden with some of my antique tea cups, who are currently collecting dust in the basement. I've got all my supplies, can't wait to sit down and put them together with my girls. Thanks so much for always inspiring!
      Julie

      Delete