Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Old Barns

Lately, we have gone on junking journeys further out into the country.  When your driving in the country, you can't help but be amazed at how beautiful everything is. One thing I never get sick of seeing are all the old barns.  Earlier today, I received some pictures of one of these old beauties.  The barn is going to be torn down in a couple of days and they were wondering if Tattered Tiques was interested in any of the old barn wood.  It is located in Iowa.  I wanted to share some of the pictures of this fabulous old barn, and some other ones I have found along my way.  



Redbarn2-2 
 I love the color.  Such a vibrant red.


Redbarn4-2 


This poor horse has no idea what's about to happen.
Redbarn5-2 
  
 About 10 years ago, I used to live in Iowa.  If I had known then what I know now, I would of better appreciated what I had.  We had 5 acres surrounded by corn fields, a huge beautiful garden, and plenty of room for out buildings.  These out buildings could of housed all the farm animals I dream about having one day.  The only problem was, I was too far from family!  I would love to have all that again, but closer this time.


Upnorth 100
Off the historic Lincoln Hwy in Illinois.  I believe, the Lincoln highway was the first coast to coast highway. 


Upnorth 098 
These two belong together.


Upnorth 099 
This reminds me of the kids movie Cars.



Upnorth 102 


Upnorth 101 
Beautiful typical country sky.


 White round barn


This round barn has been taken care of.  It is beautifully manicured.


90 barn
Last but not least.  Some of you from the Chicago area may remember this old beauty.  It used to stand along interstate 90 at the corner of Randall Road and I90.  Sadly we lost it years back.  This barn dates back to 1885, and was the only 16 sided barn of it's kind in Illinois.  It was a true marvel. 


According to the 2010 census, there are 664,264 barns built prior to 1960.  That's a lot of old barns.  You can learn more about the old barns being preserved at the following link,  http://www.preservationnation.org/issues/rural-heritage/barn-again/Historic-Barns-in-the-United-States.html
 



5 comments:

  1. i love these pics i may be only 10 years old but i really like them i am doing a project on the state of Iowa so some of these pics may be real helpful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea- We are so glad you checked our blog out! What fun to have a young blogger! We are huge lovers of barns and farm country. My dreams are filled with owning my own farm one day. Hope you were able to use some of our pics for your report! Thanks for visiting us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is the white round barn located? its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete