Monday, July 26, 2010

Muslin Ribbon tutorial

Since we had such a great response to our muslin ribbons the last two weekends, I thought I would share with you some info on how to make them.  It is very easy, and you can use any cotton fabric that is light enough for a stamp to show up on.


Tattered tiques-2 175


These are your basic supplies.  Muslin, rubber stamps, an ink pad that works on fabric, an iron, and tea.



I buy unbleached muslin, in 2 or 3 yard increments. I cut the muslin about every 2 1/2 inches and tear the strip off (depending on how wide I want my ribbon to be). 


Arboretum 005



I always start with a cup of tea for myself to enjoy.


Arboretum 006



 Steep the tea.  I place 4 or 5 bags of tea in the bowl of hot water.  You can even add a few drops of food coloring to the water if you want colored ribbons.



Arboretum 007



Mark your fabric with a pencil every 2.5 to 3 inches.




Arboretum 011



Start to tear your pieces off.



 


Arboretum 012This is what your left with.


Arboretum 015
I dye the fabric strips in batches.  I usually let them sit 5 to 10 minutes.  Then I wring them out before I put them in the dryer.



Arboretum 016



You are left with an even more wrinkled mess after you dry the fabric.  You need to iron the strips before you can stamp on them.  You will then iron them again after they are stamped to heat set them.


    I use this same process when I make some of my paper tags.  However, I do not iron the paper tags.  I like them wrinkled.





Tattered tiques-2 178



The stamp pads I use have been picked because they are recommended for use on fabric, after a heat set.  JoAnn's actually has a chart in the isle that points out which ones are good for fabrics.



Tattered tiques-2 151



These ribbons are so cute and versatile.  I love wrapping gifts with them, and have even used them as curtain tie backs in my daughter's room.  I recently made ribbon for a wedding shower gift and used a great dress stamp my mom had.  It really was a nice addition to the gift itself, and made a nice keepsake for the bride.


Tattered tiques-2 165





Normally, I would use a longer ribbon, or even two to wrap a gift, but you get the idea.  I make mine with matching tags to store the ribbon on. 



Hope you enjoy making your own ribbons. Enjoy!



2 comments: